HMRC Free Customer Service Contact Numbers

HMRC Free Phone Numbers
HMRC marble sign

Unfortunately, there is no available free phone number yet for Her Majesty Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You may refer to the alternative numbers and contact details in the next sections to get in touch with them about your general enquiries and concerns.

Alternative HMRC Contact Numbers, Details and Services
HMRC Contact Page

HMRC National Insurance

The HMRC National Insurance number is 0300 200 3500. You can call to get advice if you meet any of the following:

  • You are between 15 years and 9 months and 20 years old and have not received a National Insurance Number;
  • Have lost or cannot remember your National Insurance Number;
  • Want to request a letter confirming your National Insurance Number

HMRC NI Number Abroad

The HMRC NI number abroad is +44 191 203 7010. Since HMRC considers your privacy in utmost importance, you will not get your National Insurance Number over the phone. Expect it via post within 10 working days instead.

HMRC Student Finance England

The Student Finance England number is 0300 100 0607. This is also he number for EEA (European Economic Area) citizens working in the UK.

HMRC Student Finance Services Non UK Team

The Student Finance Services non-UK team number is +44 141 243 3570. Students may borrow money to pay for university or college tuition fees as well as to help with living costs through the Student Finance England. For parents or partner of a student, you usually have to support a student finance application. On the other hand, students who are under 25, have no contact with parents or support themselves, might be able to apply as an estranged student. Furthermore, processes differ if you are a student from Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

HMRC Postgraduate Loan

The HMRC postgraduate loan number is 0300 100 0031. The service helps fund a full-time or part-time master’s degree.

HMRC Advanced Learner Loan

The HMRC advanced learner loan number is 0300 100 0619. The service helps with college or training course costs.

HMRC Students Loans Company Complaints

The HMRC Students Loans Company (SLC) complaints number is 0300 100 0601. SLC is a non-profit, government-owned organisation that administers loans and grants to students in various colleges and universities in the UK.

HMRC Tax Helpline

The HMRC tax helpline number is 0345 300 3900. Your tax credits could go up or down or even stop if changes in your family or work occur. Some of the changes that you must report include change in living circumstances, death of a child or partner, working hours falling below 30 hours a week, or working hours falling below or going above the minimum requirement to qualify.

HMRC Tax Enquiry Number Abroad

The HMRC tax enquiry number abroad is +44 289 053 8192.

Self Assessment HMRC Help

The self assessment HMRC help number is 0300 200 3310. HMRC Self Assessment is a system HMRC uses to collect income tax, which may be deducted from wages, pensions and savings. Tax return deadline is every 31 January and every 30 December of you prefer an automatic collection.

Additionally, you can also get help about capital gains tax and changing your address and personal details in relation to your income tax.

Self Assessment HMRC Number Abroad

The self assessment HMRC number abroad is +44 161 931 9070.

HMRC Bereavement and Deceased Estate

The HMRC bereavement and deceased estate helpline is 0300 200 3300. Report a death as soon as possible so HMRC can tell you if you need to fill in a Self Assessment tax return on the behalf of the deceased.

HMRC Bereavement and Deceased Estate Outside UK

The HMRC bereavement and deceased estate helpline number outside UK is +44 135 535 9022.

HMRC Bereavement Benefits

The HMRC Bereavement benefits number is 0345 608 8601. Benefits are given to the surviving spouse or civil partner.

HMRC Deceased Estate Helpline

The HMRC deceased estate helpline number is 0300 123 1072. Dial the number and find out if you can make a claim to the estate of a deceased person.

Child Benefit HMRC Phone Number UK

The Child Benefit HMRC phone number UK is 0300 200 3100. You are eligible for a child benefit if you are taking care of a child under 16 or in some cases, under 20, if the child is staying in approved education or training. Only one person can get a Child Benefit.

Child Benefit HMRC Customer Helpline Abroad

The Child Benefit HMRC customer helpline abroad is +44 161 210 3086. Since it is at your discretion to apply for one, if you do not wish to get payments, you still need to fill in the claim form so you can get National Insurance credits. Additionally, it will also ensure your child’s right to register to get a National Insurance number upon reaching the age of 16.

HMRC VAT Phone Number

The HMRC VAT phone number is 0300 200 3700. Call this number to get help with general VAT enquiries and VAT returns. Be ready with your VAT registration number and postcode when you call.

HMRC VAT Helpline Abroad

The HMRC VAT helpline abroad number is +44 292 050 1261. Other concerns that you may use the above numbers for include aggregates levy, air passenger duty, and climate change levy.

HMRC Employer Helpline

The HMRC employer helpline is 0300 200 3200. Call HMRC if you need advice for employers on stakeholder pensions, Student Loan repayments, the Construction Industry Scheme, and apprenticeship levy.

Employer HMRC Customer Service Fax Number

The employer HMRC customer service fax number is 0300 052 3030. Additionally, the employer helpline numbers can also help with concerns regarding PAYE in real time including statutory sick pay, maternity pay, paternity pay, and additional paternity pay.

HMRC Agent Dedicated Line

The HMRC agent dedicated line for debt management is 0300 200 3887. Authorised tax agents can contact HMRC agent dedicated phone numbers to get assistance about their clients’ debts. Only use the numbers if you are officially allowed to act on behalf of your client.

HMRC Self Assessment of PAYE for Individuals

The HMRC self assessment number of PAYE for individuals is 0300 200 3311. They are open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, and every Saturday, 8am to 4pm. They are closed on Sundays and bank holidays.

HMRC Tax Credits

The HMRC tax credits phone number is 0345 300 3943. Use this number to renew your tax credits, ask about how much will be paid to you, or tell HMRC about any change in your circumstances.

HMRC Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED)

The HMRC Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) number is 0300 200 3510. ATED is an annual tax payable by companies that own UK residential properties that are valued at more than 500,000 pounds.

HMRC Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) Fax

The HMRC ATED fax number is 0300 057 0316.

HMRC Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (ATED) Outside UK

The HMRC ATED number outside UK is +44 172 620 9042. Do note that for ATED, the amount you need to pay is computed using a banding system that is based on the value of your property.

HMRC Wine and Cider Duties

The number for wine and cider duty payments/returns is 0300 059 2688. You need to pay the right amount of alcohol duty on time.

HMRC Beer Duties

The number for beer duty payments/returns/direct debits is 0300 058 3920. Deadlines and payment options are different for beer duty and wine and cider duty. Thus, you will be asked to supply a reference number to identify the payment.

HMRC Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing Declaration

The HMRC alcohol and tobacco warehousing declaration number is 0300 200 3701. This number is for sending your excise warehousing returns and payment warrants to HMRC.

HMRC Registered Air Passenger Duty

The HMRC registered air passenger duty number is 0300 053 3575. Air Passenger Duty (APD) is an excise duty on chargeable passengers who are being carried from a UK airport on chargeable aircraft.

HMRC Campaigns: My Let Property

The HMRC number for My Let Property campaign is 0300 123 0998. HMRC runs campaigns to help people update their tax affairs and not to get them wrong in the first place. These campaigns are part of the agency’s approach to tax compliance.

HMRC Campaigns: My Let Property Outside UK

The HMRC number for My Let Property campaign outside UK is +44 161 930 8445.

HMRC Campaigns: Second Incomes

The HMRC number for Second Incomes campaign is 0300 123 0945. This campaign allows you to bring your tax affairs up to date if you are employed and earn additional income that is not taxed.

HMRC Campaigns: Card Transaction Programme

The HMRC number for Card Transaction Programme campaign is 0300 123 9272. This campaign allows you to bring your tax affairs up to date if you are in business. Additionally, it also gives you a chance to accept debit or credit card payments.

HMRC National Minimum Wage

The national minimum wage helpline is 0300 123 2671. The hourly rate for the minimum wage is dependent on your age and whether you are an apprentice. You must be at least within the school leaving age to get the National Minimum Wage.

HMRC Online Services Assistance

The HMRC online services assistance number is 0300 200 3600. You may dial this number if you lost your online user ID, password or activation code.

Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO)

The number for Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) is 0300 222 0000. Contact HMPO for advice or complaints regarding British passports issued in the UK.

HMRC Benefits

The HMRC benefits number is 0345 608 8545. Dial this number for your general enquiries about jobseeker’s allowance, income support, incapacity benefit, or employment and support allowance.

HMRC Benefits: Maternity Allowance

The HMRC maternity allowance phone number is 0345 608 8610. This benefit is usually paid if you are not qualified for statutory maternity pay. You can claim this benefit as soon as you have been pregnant for 26 weeks.

HMRC Benefits: Social Fund

The HMRC social fund phone number is 0345 603 6967. The social fund provides for the budgeting loan, an interest-free loan that is offered to help spread the cost of certain one-off expenses over a longer period.

HMRC Benefits: Universal Credit

The HMRC universal credit phone number is 0345 600 0723. Universal Credit is a monthly payment replacing some other benefits such as income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, housing benefit, working tax credit, child tax credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and income support. If you are receiving low income or are out of work, you may be able to claim a Universal Credit.

HMRC Corporation Tax

The HMRC corporation tax number is 0300 200 3410. Companies must pay a corporation tax for the profits gained from doing business, investments, and selling assets for more than they cost (chargeable gains).

HMRC Corporation Tax Fax

The fax number for HMRC corporation tax is 0300 054 3889.

HMRC Corporation Tax Outside UK

The HMRC corporation tax number outside UK is +44 151 268 0571. Companies based in the UK pay the tax on all its profits from the UK and abroad while non-UK based companies pay the tax on profits from its UK activities.

HMRC Corporation Tax Forms Ordering

The HMRC corporation tax forms ordering number is 0300 200 3411. Here you can request for corporation tax forms, associated guides, notes and supplementary pages.

HMRC Corporation Tax Group Payment Arrangements

The number for HMRC corporation tax group payment arrangements is 0300 058 3947. Have your Group Payment reference number ready when you call for faster processing of your enquiries. HMRC do not take payments on this line.

Alternative HMRC Free Contact Methods
HMRC online

HMRC Student Finance England

The following are the post collection points (not offices) of Student Finance England:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Student Finance Services Non-UK Team or;
European Economic Area (EEA) Migrant Worker Applications
Student Finance England
PO Box 89
Darlington DL1 9AZ

Student Finance England (Postgraduate loan)
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Advanced Learner Loan
PO Box 302
Darlington DL1 9NQ
E-mail at

In case your application has already been decided on and you want to appeal and request Student Finance England to review the decision, you can fill up an online form and e-mail it at or send via post:

Formal Appeals
Student Finance England
Memphis Building
Lingfield Point
PO Box 226
Darlington DL1 9GA

HMRC Tax Helpline

Furthermore, if you wish to contact HMRC about tax credits via post, use the following addresses:

For tax credit renewal forms:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom

For complaints or change of circumstances:

HM Revenue and Customs
Tax Credit Office
United Kingdom

For new tax credit claims:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
L75 1AZ
United Kingdom

HMRC Self Assessment Tax Returns

Write to HMRC at the following address with your queries except for complaints:

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Alternatively, if you are a courier delivering post to an HMRC PO box address, use the below address:

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

HMRC Child Benefit

Write to HMRC for further information about eligibility, claiming and stopping a Child Benefit, changing personal details, and filing a complaint.

HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom

If it is a complaint you are sending, write the word “complaint” on the envelope for proper identification.

HMRC Employer Helpline

Write to HMRC for employer advice:

National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

HMRC Social Media

You can use Twitter to get general assistance for most of your concerns. Since HMRC cannot discuss specific cases or the tax affairs of an individual, they do not encourage giving of any personal details. You can send tweets from Monday to Friday, 8 am to 10 pm, and on Saturdays, until 4 pm. They are closed on Sundays.


HMRC Chat Support

Another way to connect with HMRC is via their online chat service. Ruth, their virtual assistant, will ask you to describe in a few words what you need help with to be able to address the concern properly. Do not provide any personal information unless you are asked to do so.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *